Re: PGAdmin will not connect

From: "Jeff Cave" <jeff(dot)cave(at)sunergon(dot)com>
To: "Michiel Lange" <michiel(at)minas(dot)demon(dot)nl>, "Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
Cc: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PGAdmin will not connect
Date: 2004-03-08 17:55:23
Lists: pgadmin-support

Sorry it took so long, but I wanted to check a couple of things and read the manual after the results of this test. I will read the log file when I get off work today, but it looks like I'm not even being given a connection by postmaster.

> what does your pg_hba.conf say about alowing hosts? Is your host allowed
> to connect to the database?

I believe so, here a copy of the relevant lines:

--- pg_hba.conf ---
local all all trust
local all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust
host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust
local all all 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0 trust
host all all 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0 trust
--- pg_hba.conf ---

I have modified it to allow everything (I think), so long as it is coming from my internal network.

> telnet localhost 5432 (do you get a 'connected' status (but otherwise
> no good info, for telnet is not psql ;-)) the database accepts socket
> connections)

BINGO!!

That was a hit. It did not allow me to connect. I received an error indicating that I was unable to connect.

I checked a couple of things: I have the "-i" option, and the config file has "tcpip_socket=true". Not sure what to check after that.