Database Conversion

From: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Database Conversion
Date: 2008-09-04 13:24:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello, All,

I have a new faculty member who has a large database that is in
MySQL. We don't support MySQL so the database needs to be ported to
PostgreSQL. Her GA, who know MySQL, says that he has a query that he
will run that will put the data into postgres. I thought that the
data would have to be output to a text file and then copied into
postgres. I don't know MySQL. I've done a conversion from Oracle
and this is how I did it. Is he correct that he can put the data
into a postgres database by running a MySQL query? It doesn't sound
possible to me.

Carol