MS SQL Server migration

From: "Roman Fail" <rfail(at)posportal(dot)com>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: MS SQL Server migration
Date: 2003-01-15 18:58:31
Lists: pgadmin-support

I recently completed a data migration to Postgres 7.3.1 using the pgAdminII Migration Wizard. It is awesome, and so much easier to use than MS DTS. Thanks for such a great tool.

However, I was unable to migrate a table with a VARBINARY column using the wizard. MS DTS was able to migrate the binary table to postgres just fine, but had memory problems due to the size of the table (23 million tuples). So I ended up using bcp and a writing a hex2octal UDF to get the thing imported. (And thanks to Ian Harding for a lot of good ideas in his tech doc).

Is binary migration going to be supported at some point? Clearly ODBC can do it, I'm guessing it's just a matter of writing the routines.

Second, I found that all my indexes migrated flawlessly, except for the unique primary key indexes! PostgreSQL and MSSQL have a major difference when you use CREATE TABLE ... PRIMARY KEY. Postgres simply creates UNIQUE and NOT NULL constraints. MSSQL does all that, plus it creates a unique index for the column. Perhaps in future versions of the wizard, these indexes would also be migrated? I saw a bunch of indexes on all my migrated tables, and foolishly assumed the PK indexes were there as well.

Roman