Re: Memory usage on subselect

From: Dan Field <dof(at)llgc(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Memory usage on subselect
Date: 2004-05-26 15:51:51
Lists: pgsql-sql

On 24 May 2004, at 14:37, Tom Lane wrote:

> Dan Field <dof(at)llgc(dot)org(dot)uk> writes:
>> I have a similar problem with just one of my queries (although it
>> isn't
>> a sub select):
>
> You really ought to vacuum and/or analyze occasionally. The EXPLAIN
> results show that the planner hasn't got any non-default statistics
> for any of these tables.

Wow, thanks for that. I'd been pulling my hair out for a couple of days
wondering where I was going wrong.
I went from 45 second queries down to sub second query lengths after a
simple vacuum full analyze.

I've now added nightly and monthly cron jobs to do this for me in
future.

Out of curiosity, why is this deemed a DBA task rather than an
automated postgres task?

Once again, many thanks.

--
Dan Field <dof(at)llgc(dot)org(dot)uk> - Support Programmer: Cymru ar y we
cy_GB: http://www.cymruarywe.org