Re: Decreasing WAL size effects

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kyle Cordes <kyle(at)kylecordes(dot)com>, pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Decreasing WAL size effects
Date: 2008-10-31 08:22:08
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On 31 okt 2008, at 02.18, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> The real reason not to put that functionality into core (or even
>> contrib) is that it's a stopgap kluge. What the people who want this
>> functionality *really* want is continuous (streaming) log-shipping,
>> not
>> WAL-segment-at-a-time shipping.
>
> Sure, and that's why I didn't care when this got kicked out of the
> March CommitFest; was hoping a better one would show up. But if 8.4
> isn't going out the door with the feature people really want, it
> would be nice to at least make the stopgap kludge more easily
> available.

+1.

It's not like we haven't had kludges in contrib before. We just need
to be careful to label it as temporary and say it will go away. As
long as it can be safe, that is. To me it sounds like passing the size
as a param and ship a tool in contrib that makes use of it would be a
reasonable compromise, but I'm not deeply familiar with the code so I
could be wrong.

/Magnus