Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases

From: decibel <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Date: 2009-08-21 03:19:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Aug 20, 2009, at 2:17 PM, David Fetter wrote:
> What you'd like to believe is not at issue here. How people actually
> behave is, and the scientific evidence to date simply does not support
> your "supply the facts and rational people will simply draw the right
> conclusion" model.

Bingo. Getting people to actually try Postgres out or even better
actively promote it; that's what advocacy is about. And part of
advocacy *is* PR. Part is Marketing. Part is also making sure we have
a contact for the press to contact (as someone mentioned).

While some of that can certainly be done on an ad-hoc basis, other
parts can't (or would be extremely hard to find enough volunteer
effort for). Hence the idea of putting money behind this.

As for who the person would report to, presumably it'd be the
foundation providing the money. However, I also don't think the
person doing this has to be an outsider.

BTW, for those saying let's focus on the software... this is the
*advocacy* list. You're probably looking for -hackers. :P And keep in
mind that advocacy builds community, which builds better software.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect decibel(at)decibel(dot)org