RE: [HACKERS] Cached plans and statement generalization

From: "Yamaji, Ryo" <yamaji(dot)ryo(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
To: Konstantin Knizhnik <k(dot)knizhnik(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] Cached plans and statement generalization
Date: 2018-08-07 10:02:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thank you for attaching the patch.
The improvement to plan cache context by the new patch was confirmed.

> This patch will be included in next release of PgPro EE.
> Concerning next commit fest - I am not sure.
> At previous commitfest it was returned with feedback that it "has received no review or comments since last May".
> May be your review will help to change this situation.

I want to confirm one point.
If I will have reviewed the autoprepare patch, then are you ready to register
the patch at commit fest in the near future? I fear that autoprepare patch do
not registered at commit fest in the future (for example, you are so busy), and
do not applied to PostgreSQL. If you are not ready to register the patch, I think
I want to register at commit fest instead of you.

> I agree it may be more useful to limit amount of memory used by prepare
> queries, rather than number of prepared statements.
> But it is just more difficult to calculate and maintain (I am not sure
> that just looking at CacheMemoryContext is enough for it).
> Also, if working set of queries (frequently repeated queries) doesn't
> fir in memory, then autoprepare will be almost useless (because with
> high probability
> prepared query will be thrown away from the cache before it can be
> reused). So limiting queries from "application side" seems to be more
> practical.

I see. But I fear that autoprepare process uses irregularity amount of memory
when autoprepare_limit is specified number of prepared statements. I think
that there is scene that autoprepare process use a lot of memory (ex. it
need to prepare a lot of long queries), then other processes (ex. other
backend process in PostgreSQL or process other than PostgreSQL) cannot use
memory. I hope to specify limit amount of memory in the future.