Postgres fsync off (not needed) with NetApp

From: Dan Gorman <dgorman(at)hi5(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres fsync off (not needed) with NetApp
Date: 2006-06-14 21:48:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

All,
So I thought I'd pose this question:

If I have a pg database attached to a powervault (PV) with just an
off-the-shelf SCSI card I generally want fsync on to prevent data
corruption in case the PV should loose power.
However, if I have it attached to a NetApp that ensures data writes
to via the NVRAM can I safely turn fsync off to gain additional
performance?

Best Regards,
Dan Gorman