Re: Injection points: some tools to wait and wake

From: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Injection points: some tools to wait and wake
Date: 2024-02-27 11:49:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> On 27 Feb 2024, at 16:08, Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Feb 27, 2024 at 11:00:10AM +0500, Andrey M. Borodin wrote:
>>
>> But, AFAICS, the purpose is the same: wait until event happened.
>
> I think it's easier to understand the tests (I mean what the purpose of the
> injection points are) if we don't use an helper function. While the helper
> function would make the test easier to read / cleaner, I think it may make them
> more difficult to understand as 'await_injection_point' would probably be too
> generic.

For the record: I’m fine if there is no such function.
There will be at least one implementation of this function in every single test with waiting injection points.
That’s the case where we might want something generic.
What the specific there might be? The test can check that
- conditions are logged
- injection point reached in specific backend (e.g. checkpointer)
etc

I doubt that this specific checks worth cleanness of the test. And sacrificing test readability in favour of teaching reader what injection points are sounds strange.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.