Re: WIP: Upper planner pathification

From: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "David Rowley" <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Upper planner pathification
Date: 2016-03-14 04:04:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for your idea. Yes, I also thought a similar point; where all
the path consideration get completed. It indeed allows extensions to
walk down the path tree and replace a part of them.
However, when we want to inject CustomPath under the built-in paths,
extension has to re-calculate cost of the built-in paths again.
Perhaps, it affects to the decision of built-in path selection.
So, I concluded that it is not realistic to re-implement equivalent
upper planning stuff in the extension side, if we put the hook after
all the planning works done.

If extension can add its CustomPath at create_grouping_paths(), the
later steps, like create_window_paths, stands on the estimated cost
of the CustomPath. Thus, extension don't need to know the detail of
the entire upper planning.

Thanks,