Re: Join push-down support for foreign tables

From: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Shigeru Hanada <shigeru(dot)hanada(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Join push-down support for foreign tables
Date: 2014-12-16 02:58:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hanada-san,

One other question from my side:
How postgres_fdw tries to solve the varno/varattno mapping when it
replaces relations join by foreign-scan?

Let me explain the issue using an example. If SELECT has a target-
list that references 2nd-column of the inner relation and 2nd-column
of the outer relation, how varno/varattno of ForeignScan shall be
assigned on?
Unless FDW driver does not set fdw_ps_tlist, setrefs.c deals with
this ForeignScan as usual relation scan, then varno of Var will
have non-special varno (even though it may be shifted by rtoffset
in setrefs.c).
Then, ExecEvalScalarVar() is invoked on executor to evaluate the
value of fetched tuple. At that time, which slot and attribute will
be referenced? The varattno of Var-node is neutral on setrefs.c, so
both of the var-nodes that references 2nd-column of the inner relation
and 2nd-column of the outer relation will reference the 2nd-column
of the econtext->ecxt_scantuple, however, it is uncertain which
column of foreign-table is mapped to 2nd-column of the ecxt_scantuple.
So, it needs to inform the planner which underlying column is
mapped to the pseudo scan tlist.

Another expression of what I'm saying is:

SELECT
ft_1.second_col X, --> varno=1 / varattno=2
ft_2.second_col Y --> varno=2 / varattno=2
FROM
ft_1 NATURAL JOIN ft_2;

When FROM-clause is replaced by ForeignScan, the relevant varattno
also needs to be updated, according to the underlying remote query.
If postgres_fdw runs the following remote query, X should have varattno=1
and Y should have varattno=2 on the pseudo scan tlist.
remote: SELECT t_1.second_col, t_2.second_col
FROM t_1 NATURAL JOIN t_2;

You can inform the planner this mapping using fdw_ps_tlist field of
ForeignScan, if FDW driver put a list of TargetEntry.
In above example, fdw_ps_tlist will have two elements and both of then
has Var-node of the underlying foreign tables.

The patch to replace join by foreign-/custom-scan adds a functionality
to fix-up varno/varattno in these cases.

Thanks,
--
NEC OSS Promotion Center / PG-Strom Project