Re: Postgres becoming slow, only full vacuum fixes it

From: Kiriakos Tsourapas <ktsour(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres becoming slow, only full vacuum fixes it
Date: 2012-09-26 09:41:46
Lists: pgsql-performance

Dear all,

I am taking your suggestions one step at a time.

I changed my configuration to a much more aggressive autovacuum policy (0.5% for analyzing and 1% for autovacuum).

autovacuum_naptime = 1min
autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 50
#autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 50
autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.01
autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor = 0.005

I had tables with 180.000 record and another with 2M records, so the default values of 0.2 for autovacuum would mean that 18.000 and 200K records would have to change respectively, delaying the vacuum for many days.

I will monitor for the next 2-3 days and post back the results.

Thank you all for your suggestions so far.
Kiriakos