Re: incremental backups

From: Rick Gigger <rick(at)alpinenetworking(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>, pgsql general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: incremental backups
Date: 2006-01-30 23:29:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Yes! Thanks you! That is exactly what I was looking for.

So I take it that this means that it is save to copy the current in
use WAL file even as it is being written to?
And it also means that if I copy it with my physical file system
backup then I should have the last file that I need to restore from
that physical backup?

So if I write my own backup_latest_WAL_file.sh script (I think I
found one on the list from Simon Riggs) then I can do what I need to
do before those todo items get done? Or will I need to wait till
postgres gives me the ability to safely copy the file?

On Jan 30, 2006, at 11:13 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> [...]
>> archive file #5. Once the physical dump is completed WAL archive
>> file #5 hasn't been archived yet. I only have up to #4. So if I
>> delete my old physical dumps and all I've got is this most recent one
>> and my database crashes before #5 gets archived then I am hosed. I
>> have no good physical backups to start from.
>>
>> My main question is about the best way to figure out when a physical
>> dump is Good.
>>
>> One strategy is to always keep around lots of physical dumps. If you
>> keep around 100 dumps you can be pretty sure that in the space of
>> time that those physical dumps take place that at least one WAL file
>> was archived. In fact if you keep 2 physical dumps you can be fairly
>> certain of this. If not then you really need to space our your dumps
>> more.
>>
>> Is this making sense at this point?
>>
>> The problem is that the WAL archiving is triggered by postgres and
>> the rate at which the db is updated. The physical dumps are
>> triggered by cron and on a purely time based schedule. So in theory
>> if you had the physical dumps happening once a day but for some odd
>> reason no one updated the database for 4 days then all of a sudden
>> you'd have 2 physical backups and neither of them are good. If
>> you're db crashes during that time you are hosed.
>>
>> Maybe I am arguing a point that is just stupid because this will
>> never happen in real life. But in that it is my backups system that
>> I will be using to recover from complete and total disaster I just
>> want to have all my bases covered.
>>
>> So my ideas on how to determine if a physical dump is Good are as
>> follows.
>>
>> 1) When you do the physical backup (after dumping the $PGDATA dir but
>> before calling pg_stop_backup() ) determine the current WAL archive
>> file. Mark somewhere in the backed up physical dump the last file
>> needed for the dump to be considered good. Then your deletion
>> scripts can look at the WAL archive files you have and the last one
>> required for the dump to be Good and determine if the dump is Good or
>> not.
>>
>> 2) After doing the physical dump but before calling pg_stop_backup()
>> just copy the current WAL file to the physical dump. If that file
>> later gets archived then the restore commands overwrites your
>> partially completed one so it doesn't hurt but you know that when you
>> call pg_stop_backup() that that physical dump is good. (Is it ok to
>> copy the current WAL file while it is still in use?)
>>
>> Is anyone taking one of these or any other precautions to make sure
>> they've got a good physical dump or does everyone just keep a whole
>> bunch of dumps around, and then actually restore the dump to see if
>> it is good and if not go back to a previous dump?
>>
>> I hope that makes more sense.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick

>>> I'm not sure your email is quite right as regards the process. You
>>> 1. the filesystem backup
>>> 2. the WAL file indicated in the history-file