Postgres 7.3 to 8.1.1 migration: Getting 'No results were returned..' for function calls

From: Sriganesh Ananth <sriganesh(dot)ananth4u(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Postgres 7.3 to 8.1.1 migration: Getting 'No results were returned..' for function calls
Date: 2009-04-27 18:40:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Group,

I am in the process of migrating Postgres from version 7.3 to 8.1.1 on
the Linux 5 server with JDK 1.6 installed and I am using
“postgresql-8.3-604.jdbc4.jar”.

When I try to call a Postgres function from my Java code I am
receiving the following error.
org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: No results were returned by the query.
at org.postgresql.jdbc2.AbstractJdbc2Statement.executeQuery(AbstractJdbc2Statement.java:236)
at com.echospace.wizard.db.WizardJDBCConnection.doStoredQuery(WizardJDBCConnection.java:251)

When I execute the query from the Postgres 8.1.1 Admin tool I received
1 row with the message“<unnamed portal 1>”. Also the same query and
code is working fine on the Postgres 7.3 with JDK 1.4.
My query to call the function looks like “BEGIN; SELECT
Get_options('1234','D','123456');” I have also tried executing this
query on Postgres 7.3 admin tool and received “<unnamed cursor 1>”
message.

Java code for executing the function looks like this.
public static StoredQueryResult doStoredQuery( String query ,
Connection db_connection) throws WizardDatabaseException {

String orginalQuery = query;

Statement statement = null;
try {
statement = db_connection.createStatement();
}
catch ( Exception e ) {
throw new WizardDatabaseException( "Error getting statement for
database query.", e );
}

// do the query, and get the cursor
ResultSet result = null;
String cursor = null;
query = "BEGIN; " + query;
Exception exceptionToThrow = null;
try {
result = statement.executeQuery(query);
}
catch ( SQLException ex ) {…..}

I would really appreciate your help in resolving this issue

Thank you for your help in advance.

Regards
Sriganesh