Rails & pg setup question

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
To: Postgresql General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Rails & pg setup question
Date: 2012-02-25 16:13:59
Lists: pgsql-general

What I'm trying to determine is: should I plan on using pgbouncer?

With Rails & Passenger, do the app server processes take and hold connections to the db? Or take & release with queries/connections?

This is not a scalability question; given the traffic the site will have I only need a small handful of connections. It's a latency question, I don't want to be starting up new pg processes excessively.

(Yes, I thought about asking on the RoR list, since it's really a question about RoR behaviors, but on the other hand it involves pg optimization & best practice, which is, ahem, different than with MySQL.)

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com