Re: show all;

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: show all;
Date: 2001-06-01 21:58:29
Lists: pgsql-patches

Marko Kreen <marko(at)l-t(dot)ee> writes:
> Another thing: currently the var display goes through
> elog(NOTICE) and is quite verbose. Is it possible to
> return those as a list of tuples? (name, value)

This would be a good idea, but I don't think there's any non-kluge
way to do it at the moment.

The right way to do it would be as a function returning a set of tuples,
which you might then bury inside a VIEW for syntactic convenience.
While that's certainly possible (SQL functions do it), it's a pain in
the neck to code and the interface is likely to change drastically
sometime soon. So I'd recommend holding that idea on the to-do list
until we do something about the function-returning-tuples problem.