Re: [WIP] [B-Tree] Retail IndexTuple deletion

From: Andrey Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Юрий Соколов <funny(dot)falcon(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-Dev <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [WIP] [B-Tree] Retail IndexTuple deletion
Date: 2018-07-23 06:47:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

13.07.2018 00:00, Peter Geoghegan пишет:
> One area that might be worth investigating is retail index tuple
> deletion performed within the executor in the event of non-HOT
> updates.

I will try to use this idea. But now I developed a background worker
already (experimental state). It clean an index and heap relations with
a retail deletion approach.
It uses "soft" strategy with conditional buffer locks. Benchmarks on
pgbench test demonstrate same execution time as PostgreSQL without the
worker, but 90% of dead tuples in index and heap relations cleaned
without vacuum.
My main efforts is involved to tuning of the worker.

---
Andrey Lepikhov
Postgres Professional
https://postgrespro.com