Re: Typmod associated with multi-row VALUES constructs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Typmod associated with multi-row VALUES constructs
Date: 2016-12-08 02:19:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> In HEAD, we could change the RTE data structure so that
>> transformValuesClause could save the typmod information in the RTE,
>> keeping the lookups cheap.

> Hmm, I think this would be useful for the XMLTABLE patch too. I talked
> a bit about it at
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20161122204730.dgipy6gxi25j4e6a@alvherre.pgsql

I dunno. If your example there is correct that XMLTABLE can be called as
a plain function in a SELECT list, then I doubt that we want to tie
anything about it to the RTE data structure. If anything, the case where
it appears in FROM seems to need to be treated as a generic RTE_FUNCTION
case.

I've been trying to avoid getting involved in the XMLTABLE patch, mainly
because I know zip about XML, but maybe I need to take a look.