64 Bit versus 32 Bit

From: Cevin A Moses <cevin(at)imoses(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: 64 Bit versus 32 Bit
Date: 2019-04-11 21:27:02
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Good afternoon,
I’m not sure if you can help me, but maybe at least shed some light on things. I have a MS-Access database used by 6-7 different users. It mostly uses an MS-Access backend, but there are some connections to a PostgreSQL server as well. It was built with MS-Access 2010 32-bit because we still had a few 32-bit WinXP machines floating around. I used the PostgreSQL Unicode driver, version 9.01.01.00, and configured the connection with Window’s ODBC Data Source Administrator (32-bit). It has been working for several years.
Now that all of the computers have all been upgraded, some of the newer ones are getting Office 365 64-bit installed. When they open the database with a 64-bit version of Access, the ODBC connections fails. If I reinstall the 32-bit runtime version of MS-Access to open the file, everything works fine. However, I have tried installing the 64-bit PostgreSQL driver, version 11.00.00.00, but Access 64-bit still gives me the same error. The 64-bit ODBC connection test within the ODBC Data Source Administrator (64-bit) says that it is successful, but 64-bit Access still can’t open it. I don’t know if I can have both the 32-bit and the 64-bit drivers installed and setup with the same network connections or not. I’m not sure if there’s anything within the Access database file that’s directing it to use the 32-bit connection, but the 64-bit version of Access doesn’t like it, or what.
If you can shed any light on this I would appreciate it. Might be more of an Access-side question, but I thought I’d reach out just in case.

Thanks,

Cevin Moses
cevin(at)imoses(dot)com
262-203-3895