copy/backup database

From: "Dan" <dan(at)NOSPAMbluecap(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: copy/backup database
Date: 2001-06-08 11:40:26
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I have a pgsql database I want to make a copy of to do some test work on it.
In /var/lib/psql/data/base I have made a copy of this directory with correct
file permission etc but when I try to access the database it says it's not
in the catalogue. I guess there's obviously a procudure for this or a pgsql
command but I dont know what.
Please help!
Thanks!