PG_DUMP fails to load back in

From: Rob Brown-Bayliss <rob(at)ZOOstation(dot)cc>
To: PGSQL Novice List <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PG_DUMP fails to load back in
Date: 2001-06-01 06:45:29
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi

I am developing an app around postgresql and have been useing pg_dump as
a backup.

My problem comes when I to to reload the database, about half the tables
are missing dure to a problem with a function.

Most tables have part of there primary key set via a function that looks
up data from a local table. But, pgdump is putting the functions at the
end of the list so it's not there when the table is created.

The other problem is if I move the function lines up in the dump file I
neet to place the lookup table infront of the function.

This is ok at the moment, but where will I be when I have 50 or 60
tables all requiring some function or other that need s aspecific table
first...

You can see my point, editing the dump file by hand for 5 tables and 2
functions is a minor paiun, for a larger effort... scary!

Is there a way arrond this?

--

Rob Brown-Bayliss