Re: PostgreSQL Service Name Enhancement - Wildcard support for LDAP/DNS lookup

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Doyle, Bryan" <Bryan(dot)Doyle(at)gs(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Service Name Enhancement - Wildcard support for LDAP/DNS lookup
Date: 2014-10-21 19:15:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Doyle, Bryan" <Bryan(dot)Doyle(at)gs(dot)com> writes:
> Would specifying a special value for the service name, perhaps [%], be an acceptable implementation of this enhancement/fix to my above concerns?

> Example:
> # comment
> [%]
> host=%.domain.com
> port=5433
> user=admin

This doesn't seem like a terribly good idea, because such an entry would
capture *any* service name whatsoever. And, since we check service names
before other possibilities such as host/database names, the entry would
then proceed to capture every possible connection request.

I follow what you're trying to do, but it needs to be a more constrained
syntax. One possibility is to insist that the wildcard be only a part
of the name string, eg

[myservers-%]
host=%.domain.com
port=5433