Re: [INTERFACES] pg_pwd

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Sergio A(dot) Kessler" <ser(at)perio(dot)unlp(dot)edu(dot)ar>, "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] pg_pwd
Date: 1999-11-20 23:29:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, 20 Nov 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
> As I commented earlier in this thread, I think COPY ought not create
> files with looser permissions than 644 (does anyone know why that's
> not true already?). But that still wouldn't be good enough for pg_pwd.

> Maybe it would be worthwhile to try to force pg_pwd in particular
> to be written with just mode 600. In the standard configuration that
> shouldn't make any difference ...

Hmmm... Can a parameter be passed to COPY giving the file create mode? A
one-time hack to make pg_pwd only do something special sounds inelegant.

>but if people are going to use
> hacked-up initdb code, as you evidently are doing, we probably should
> not rely on the data directory to be locked up tightly...

Just 'initdb --pglib=/usr/lib/pgsql --pgdata=/var/lib/pgsql' /var/lib/pgsql is
created during the rpm installation of the server rpm -- and I can force that
to create mode 0700. HOWEVER, that just fixes the symptom -- not the problem.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio