Re: [INTERFACES] PL_na undeclared

From: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Brian P Millett <bpm(at)ec-group(dot)com>, John Cusick <jcusick(at)exotrope(dot)net>, pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] PL_na undeclared
Date: 1999-10-02 17:48:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

On Sat, 02 Oct 1999, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> > Uh, Tom, the Pg module works for me under Perl _5.00503_. The test.pl
> > script completes and all that. The key is building the module with the
> > version of perl that the module is going to run against (and rebuilding
> > the module when you upgrade perl).
>
> Hmm. But IIRC, the complaints were from people who were trying and
> failing to build the Pg module in the first place. Could it be that
> they have mucked-up Perl installations (headers different revision
> from Perl binary, or some such?

It is possible. I always build with as close to pristine a system as possible
-- otherwise, the RPM's I generate become tied to my installation and become
useless to anyone else.

To provide a point of reference, PL_na is defined on a pristine RedHat 6.0
installation in the file '/usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux/CORE/embedvar.h'
Also, under RedHat 6.0, only the main perl RPM is necessary to get a good
build of Pg. Now, not being a perl wizard, and not being very familiar with
the Pg mechanism, I am curious if those having problems have an issue with the
build finding the above referenced embedvar.h. (In
src/interfaces/perl5/Makefile, after Makefile.PL has run, find the line
defining PERL_INC -- on a RedHat 6.0 system, this var should be equal to
/usr/lib/perl5/5.00503/i386-linux/CORE -- in other Perl installations, PERL_INC
should be set to wherever the CORE header files are.)

To provide another point of reference, using the RedHat default installation of
the Perl RPM's, I get a good build both with Perl 5.00503 under RedHat 6.0 AND
with Perl 5.004m7 under RedHat 5.2. If a copy of my Pg.c, Makefile, or any
other files in src/interface/perl5 after the build will help in troubleshooting
this problem, let me know.

This build has no unusual options for configure or make. There are some
shenanigens necessary in the install due to the use of Buildroot in the RPM
build process, but that is way after the compile.

--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio