Re: Performance problems with Postgresql/ZFS/Non-global zones on Solaris?

From: jiniusatwork-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com
To: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performance problems with Postgresql/ZFS/Non-global zones on Solaris?
Date: 2008-02-04 14:31:44
Lists: pgsql-general

----- Original Message ----
From: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
To: jiniusatwork-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Sent: Sunday, February 3, 2008 8:43:28 PM

On
Thu,
31
Jan
2008,
jiniusatwork-postgresql(at)yahoo(dot)com
wrote:

haven't
done
any
tuning
as
of
yet.
I'm
running
with
the
default

settings
produced
by
initdb.

The
default
settings
are
junk
and
the
disk
pattern
will
change
once
they're
set
correctly,
so
tuning
ZFS
first
and
then
PostgreSQL
is
probably
backwards.
You
may
return
tuning
the
database
again
after
ZFS,
but
for
the
first
shot
I'd
start
with
somewhat
tuned
DB
server
and
then
play
with
the
filesystem.

Put
the
major
postgresql.conf
parameters
in
the
right
ballpark--shared_buffers,
effective_cache_size,
and
large
setting
for
checkpoint_segments
since
think
you
mentioned
write-heavy
benchmark.
You
should
do
your
own
experiments
with
wal_sync_method,
haven't
seen
any
tests
that
are
really
definitive
on
the
best
setting
there
for
S10+ZFS
and
it
kind
of
depends
on
the
underlying
hardware--try
both
open_datasync
and
fdatasync.

Greg,
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, the project I'm working is trying to provide "database-as-a-service" functionality, so I can't really tune the DB since the application/load will vary by customer (and the whole idea was to abstract all the low-level tuning parameters from the customer because we aren't expecting "power" users).

Bob