Re: [INTERFACES] Access 2000

From: laszlo_acs_at_cms08405(at)ccmailgw(dot)state(dot)il(dot)us
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Access 2000
Date: 1999-08-27 19:52:23
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I happened to mention a similar occurence to our 'local' Microsoft (hereinafter
referred to as M$) representative at a seminar yesterday (B.O.) and his take on
the issue is not ODBC, rather the culprit is due to the internal rewrite that's
gone into M$ Access 2000. His reply went something like this:

M$ Access 2000 is now unicode-aware and requires MDAC 2.1 or higher - unlike M$
Access 97, the only M$ Office product not unicoded in the 97 release. Because
of the unicode (which is a two-byte character encoding scheme - see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/officedev/off2000/defunicode.htm for a
definition) implementation, older Access databases must be 'imported' and
updated - BUT this updating process does not update the ODBC driver to recognize
the fact that the linked tables are not unicode-aware (i.e. a postgreSQL
database) and therefore data in those tables can't be modified since there is no
provision for this scenario in M$ sourcecode.

Based on this response, I assume M$ is aware of the issue. At least the rep
seems to be. It would be nice to know if there is something to come of this and
similar issues concerning updating and moving forward.

Humbly,

Laszlo

Author: Robert Hiltibidal <rob(at)y2k(dot)state(dot)il(dot)us> at INTERNET Date: 8/23/99
2:29 PM

So... all problems are solved with Office 2000?

-Rob

>From: Moray McConnachie <Moray(dot)McConnachie(at)computing-services(dot)oxford(dot)ac(dot)uk>
>Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 17:28:59 +0100
>To: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)solipsys(dot)com> >Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Access
2000
>Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
>
>On Mon, 23 Aug 1999 12:16:38 -0400 Byron Nikolaidis ><byronn(at)solipsys(dot)com>
wrote:

>> Michael Doyle wrote:
>>
>> > I need help with Access 2000 and PostgreSQL... >> >
>> > I have several databases running on my server (It's a FreeBSD server >> >
running Postgress 6.4) and Access 95 had no trouble acting as a
>> > front end to these databases
>> >
>> > However, I cannot create new Access 2000 databases to see either new >> >
or old databases on the server.

>> > Curiously, upgrading the Access 95 databases to Access 2000 lets them >> >
continue to see the linked tables.

>> > Something strange is going on with Access 2000 and ODBC interfaces. >> >
Any ideas on how to resolve this ?

>> Do you see any error messages, either on screen or in any of the logfiles? >
>Michael's problem is basically the same as I posted a few >weeks back, and
others have contacted me about it since. It >appears to leave no error messages,
but frankly I've given >up and have no longer been looking.

>Some have said that all 3rd party ODBC drivers have had to >be rewritten to
co-operate with Access 2000's >implementatation of ODBC, which is hardly
brilliant!