SOMAXCONN, MaxBackendID and Postgres

From: StOo <stuart(at)comodo(dot)net>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: SOMAXCONN, MaxBackendID and Postgres
Date: 1999-07-27 10:45:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

hi wondered if anyone can help:-

O/S S.u.s.e linux 6.0
kernel 2.0.36
postgres 6-4-2

I'm trying to increase the maximum number of connections on the operating
system which invovles altering the SOMAXCONN and patching certain files. I've
done that but im still limited by postgres. I found that the ./configure file
was pulling in a different version of socket.h from the operating system. After
altering that I still had the same problem. I've also increase the
MaxBackendID and that still doesn't help. Is there any
more documentation on SOMAXCONN or has anybody else had this problem. I know
unix based O/S's have 128 connections but I need to increase this considerably.
Currently im aming for about 512 connections. Is there any draw backs I should
be aware of? any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys n gals,
Stuart

Stuart Hodgkinson - Software Engineer

Comodo Technology Design