Re: Relax transactional restrictions on ALTER ENUM ... ADD TYPE (redux)

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Relax transactional restrictions on ALTER ENUM ... ADD TYPE (redux)
Date: 2018-10-05 13:31:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/03/2018 12:02 AM, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 4:42 PM Thomas Munro
> <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Oct 3, 2018 at 2:24 PM Thomas Munro
>> <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>>> Over the thread for bug #14825 I posted some draft code to show one
>>> way to save/restore the enum blacklist for parallel workers. Here's a
>>> better version, and a new thread. 0001 is the code by Andrew Dustan
>>> and Tom Lane that was reverted in 93a1af0b, unchanged by me except for
>>> resolving trivial conflicts on current master. 0002 fixes the failure
>>> seen with make installcheck when postgresql.conf says
>>> force_parallel_mode = regress.
>> Added to the next commitfest.
> ... which promptly caused cfbot to report that the documentation
> doesn't build anymore, because it used one of those old "</>" tags
> that are now outlawed. Fixed.

Many thanks for doing this. Your solution seems simpler and cleaner that
what was previously proposed.

I have tested it, and confirm that without your 0002 patch there is an
error with force_parallel_mode=regress and with 0002 that error goes away.

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan https://www.2ndQuadrant.com