mechanism used to store images in Postgres

From: Eric(at)barrodale(dot)com (Eric Davies)
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: mechanism used to store images in Postgres
Date: 2003-11-22 00:27:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

We're looking at storing the equivalent of very large rasters images
in
postgres. Our understanding is that postgres stores large objects
as little pieces in rows of a table. As our images would be 30MB-4GB
in size, this would be a lot of rows. Has anybody used a different
mechanism to store their data that offers higher performance?

Thank you,
Eric.