Re: Add column if not exists (CINE)

From: Bernd Helmle <mailings(at)oopsware(dot)de>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Takahiro Itagaki <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Kjell Rune Skaaraas <kjella79(at)yahoo(dot)no>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add column if not exists (CINE)
Date: 2010-07-21 18:53:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On 1. Mai 2010 23:09:23 -0400 Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 9:15 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> CREATE OR REPLACE is indeed much more complicated.  In fact, for
>>> tables, I maintain that you'll need to link with -ldwim to make it
>>> work properly.
>>
>> This may in fact be an appropriate way to handle the case for tables,
>> given the complexity of their definitions.
>
> Patch attached.

I had an initial look at Robert's patch. Patch applies cleanly,
documentation and regression tests included, everything works as expected.
When looking at the functionality there's one thing that strikes me a
little:

bernd(at)localhost:bernd #*= CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS foo(id int);
ERROR: duplicate key value violates unique constraint
"pg_type_typname_nsp_index"
DETAIL: Key (typname, typnamespace)=(foo, 2200) already exists.

This is what you get from concurrent CINE commands. The typname thingie
might be confusing by unexperienced users, but i think its hard to do
anything about it ?

--
Thanks

Bernd