case sensitivity

From: "Simon Crute" <simon-news(at)nospam(dot)geordie(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: case sensitivity
Date: 2001-05-12 10:23:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I'm having some problems converting a CGI app from oracle to postgres (it
uses Perl & DBI)

When using sth->fetchrow_hashref() against the Oracle DBD, the keys are all
in upper case.

When using sth->fetchrow_hashref() against the Postgres DBD, the keys are
all in lower case.

Now, I'm not sure if oracle converts all column names to upper case, or if
postgres doesn't and "should", but I need to know if there's an easy way to
persuade the postgres DBD driver to return the names in upper case.

As separate point, postgres seems to be bothered about case a lot more than
oracle. My DBA spent ages looking at why a query using count didn't work.
Took a non DBA like me to suggest trying upper case :)

Is there anyway of "relaxing" postgres's demands to exact case, or is this
by design ?

Thanks.