Re: Re: New Linux xfs/reiser file systems

From: Martín Marqués <martin(at)bugs(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: New Linux xfs/reiser file systems
Date: 2001-05-09 11:21:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Quoting Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>:

> > > When compared to the earlier ones (including XFS), you'll note that
> ReiserFS
> > > performance is rather poor in some of the tests - it takes 37 vs. 13
> > > seconds for 8192 inserts, when the inserts are different transactions.
> >
> > That is all the fsync delay, probably, and it should be using fdatasync()
> > on that kernel.
>
> And it does seem to work that way with XFS...

I'm concearned about this because we are going to switch our fist server to a
Journaling FS (on Linux).
Searching and asking I found out that for our short term work we need ReiserFS
(it's for a proxy server).
Put the interesting thing was that for large (very large) files, everybody
recomends XFS.
The drawback of XFS is that it's very, very sloooow when deleting files.

Saludos... :-)

--
El mejor sistema operativo es aquel que te da de comer.
Cuida tu dieta.