Re: multi-column aggregates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Kratz <chris(dot)kratz(at)vistashare(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, Berend Tober <btober(at)seaworthysys(dot)com>
Subject: Re: multi-column aggregates
Date: 2006-03-13 20:21:54
Lists: pgsql-general

Chris Kratz <chris(dot)kratz(at)vistashare(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks for the reply. Yes, subselects would work very well and in some ways
> are more elegant then the hand waving we had to do to get the multi-column
> aggregates to work.

BTW, there is not any fundamental reason why we can't support aggregate
functions with multiple inputs. I looked at this not long ago and
determined that the major stumbling blocks would be
(1) trying to keep the code in nodeAgg.c from getting a lot more
complicated and hence slower for the single-input case;
(2) figuring out how to change the syntax for CREATE AGGREGATE.

It certainly seems doable if someone wants to spend time on it.