From a real novice

From: "Tamir Halperin" <tamir(at)brobus(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: From a real novice
Date: 2003-03-24 01:38:04
Lists: pgsql-novice

I've just been abandoned by my FreeBSD/PostgreSQL administrator just as we were setting things up for our test server. I hope if I provide as much of the specs as I can get my hands on, someone on the list will be able to help me with my problem.

Although pgsql seems to be installed, I do not know why pgsql isn't running or starting at the time the system comes up. It doesn't show up in the TOP list.

I'm running FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE. I'm not exactly sure which version of PostgreSQL I'm running and I also suspect that a second version has been installed on top of the first one. I do not know either version. I suspect that to minimize all the variables, it would probably benefit me to simply deinstall all version of pgsql and then simply start off with the most current one available, 7.3.2. From the changes I've read about it, I can very much appreciate the advancements made in this version.

1. How can I take an inventory of the various installations of pgsql on my FreeBSD computer?

2. How can I remove them?

3. I assume I can ensure I have the most recent installation support by doing a cvsup but I really only want to get my hands on the most recent pgsql for FreeBSD. How is this possible?

4. We did minimal work on the previous version and I don't need to save any of the data or configuration information as it may exist in various configuration files throughout my FreeBSD system. How can I ensure that I've removed all of these before I do my new installation?

At a time like this I can not describe how grateful I would be for someone's detailed and very patient assistance. I am truly a novice. If this request belongs in a different group, then please do instruct me as to which one.

Thanks and thanks again,

Tamir