Re: reteptools.jar

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>, Mike Cannon-Brookes <mcannon(at)internet(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reteptools.jar
Date: 2001-03-20 16:28:29
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Quoting Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>:

> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > > The only one of my tools that will not go in is the pdf library. One
> because
> > > it's pretty big, but mainly because It's the only one previously
> released and I
> > > put that one out on the LGPL (the rest are fresh - never been
> released, so
> > > theres no Licence problems). I'm effectively donating them to the
> postgresql
> > > community.
> > >

> > I am told you can re-release LGPL stuff with a BSD license. You just
> > need to up the version number and put a BSD license on it.
>
> I don't think so. But since Peter M. is the author of the library, he
> can
> re-release it under any license any number of times.

Sorry for not being around (email probs and work has been horrendously busy the
last two weeks).

Anyhow, reteptools (and I've not had chance to merge the rest in yet) has never
been released before, so AFAIK it's under the same as PostgreSQL (I wouldn't
have put them in the source tree otherwise).

The only one (which isn't in there) is the pdf stuff which was released under
the LGPL.

Now as for the LGPL, say for argument sake I released something under it. I
could change it, but not any additions made by other people without their
permission. The pdf stuff falls under this snag.

Anyhow, reteptools is not GPL'ed in any form.

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/