Re: Trying to get a C function built with MSVC

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Bryan Montgomery <monty(at)english(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Trying to get a C function built with MSVC
Date: 2010-02-24 07:00:54
Lists: pgsql-general

2010/2/23 Bryan Montgomery <monty(at)english(dot)net>:
> Hello,
> I have a very simple function that I've created. I can compile it in linux without any problems. However, I've tried creating a dll for windows and am not having much luck.
>
> I first tried MSVC 2008 but after seeing some comments have tried compiling it in MSVC 2005 as well.

With 8.4 and earlier, only MSVC2005 is supported. If you're trying on
9.0, MSVC 2008 should be fine.

> In both I get several errors, whether I compile the code as c++ and use an extern C block, or compile the code as C.

They definitely should be C. I wouldn't recommend C++ with extern defines.

> I've tried creating new projects from both ides for dlls, as well as trying to create a project from an external source file.
>
> I'm using postgres version 8.3.5. I'm also including the port\win32_msvc directory as well as the port\win32 include directory.
>
> I was wondering if someone has a packaged 'solution' (makefile /def /.sln whatever :) that they can post / send? At this point I'm stumped with just trying to build a basic dll with the postgres headers.

I don't know of a packaged one, but your best bet is probably to
download the source and run the "mkvcbuild" script on it. Then look at
one of the projects generated for a contrib project - they are the
most likely to be close to what you want.

> warning C4005: '_WIN32_WINNT' : macro redefinition    c:\program files\postgresql\include\server\pg_config_os.h    7

Are you defining _WIN32_WINNT yourself somewhere? Or including
something else before the postgres headers that define it?

> error C2894: templates cannot be declared to have 'C' linkage    c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\platformsdk\include\wspiapi.h    44
> error C2894: templates cannot be declared to have 'C' linkage    c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\platformsdk\include\wspiapi.h    44
> error C2466: cannot allocate an array of constant size 0    c:\program files\microsoft visual studio 8\vc\include\sys\utime.inl    44

These are all coming out of your SDK files. Can you build your
projects if you *don't* include the postgres headers at all? Perhaps
you are stuck with one of those platform sdk mismatches we've seen now
and then?

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/