Re: synchronous commit in dump

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: synchronous commit in dump
Date: 2010-02-23 09:40:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2010/2/23 Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>:
> Hi,
>
> it's safe to set synchrounous_commit to off in a pg_dump generated
> script? if yes, would this help to the performance of restore a
> database?

It might help if you're dumping as individual inserts and not COPY,
but if you're doing that you're not asking for performance in the
first place. I don't really see how it would help in any other cases -
sync_commit=off helps when you have many small transactions, which
really is the opposite of pg_dump/pg_restore.
--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/