Re: Refresh timer in status window very unintuitive

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Refresh timer in status window very unintuitive
Date: 2010-02-17 06:48:27
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 23:17, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Le 16/02/2010 13:47, Magnus Hagander a écrit :
>> From what I can tell, the refresh timer in the status window is
>> configured independently for each pane.
>
> You're right.
>
>> But since we are now showing all panes at the same time, that's
>> *extremely* un-untuitive.
>
> Yes.
>
>> If we
>> want to keep a timer-per-pane, we should make it more clear that the
>> rate is for only that. Otherwise, we should make it a single refresh
>> rate...
>>

> The server status patch for previous release had quite some changes, so
> I'm not sure that four timers are still essential. Anyways, we can still
> have four different timers and only one refresh rate.
>
> Dave, do you remember why you think four timers are essential?

There's certainly a point in not refreshing the server log all the
time, especially if it's large, as has been mentioned recently on the
lists :-)

I also notice that we always refresh the list of which files are in
the log file directory all the time... In the case of my client, they
had almost 1,000 files in there. Yes, they should rotate more often,
but do we really need to reload that whole list all the time? ;)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/