Re: RADIUS authentication

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RADIUS authentication
Date: 2010-01-10 18:05:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 18:55, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> On sön, 2010-01-10 at 14:25 +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> The attached patch implements RADIUS authentication (RFC2865-compatible).
>>
>> The main usecase for me in this is the ability to use (token based)
>> one-time-password systems easily with PostgreSQL. These systems almost
>> always support RADIUS, and the implementation is fairly simple. RADIUS
>> can of course be used in many other scenarios as well (for example, it
>> can be used to implement "only this group"-access with at least Active
>> Directory, something our current LDAP doesn't support. We might
>> eventually want to support that in our LDAP, but it's not there now)
>
> Sounds interesting; I didn't know RADIUS was still in use.

It's very much in use. It works well for that kind of scenario, and
it's still very much in use by ISPs (for other things than database,s
of course)

> There is a copy-and-paste'o in the patch, where LDAP is mentioned
> instead of RADIUS.

Yeah, Stefan just pointed that out to me over IM. Thanks. There's also
a smis-spelling of the word RADIUS :-)

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/