Re: win32 socket definition

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: win32 socket definition
Date: 2010-01-10 12:44:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 13:33, James Mansion
<james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com> wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>>
>> There's another copy of ListenSocket[] in the BackendParameters struct.
>> I also wonder about postmaster.c's habit of using -1 for empty slots
>> in ListenSocket ... how safe is that for Win64?
>>

> On Windows, it should be INVALID_SOCKET.

Indeed it should, but I think we're Ok anyway. Here's the extract from
the SDK headers.

/*
* This is used instead of -1, since the
* SOCKET type is unsigned.
*/
#define INVALID_SOCKET (SOCKET)(~0)
#define SOCKET_ERROR (-1)

But it might be worthwhile going across all those places and setting
them to PGINVALID_SOCKET, and typedef that as well.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/