Re: pgsql: And another one

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: And another one
Date: 2010-01-06 10:32:05
Lists: pgsql-committers

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 10:48, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 06:20:07PM +0100, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> This kind of commit message is pretty much useless. If you want to do
>> a git blame/cvs annotate/whatever later, it gives exactly zero
>> information.
>
> No, I didn't want to blame anything. I was just trying to fix this before
> leaving as I had to pick up one of my sons. And no, this didn't show up in any
> of my tests as obviously the files were rewritten by cvs when committed. After
> using git so much the fault was in front of my keyboard because I simply forgot
> about this feature.

I think you misunderstand what I mean with blame in this case.. I mean
the command "git blame". Which is basically the same as "cvs
annotate". Which now just shows that the reason the change was made
was "And another one". Which says nothing. So you have to go back out
and figure out which was the commit that actually contains the
information that you're looking for.

I totally understand that this happens, I'm just arguing for a commit
message that will make life easier in the future :-)

>> Isn't it better to just reuse the previous commit message? That will
>> also allow tools to group the commits together (if you're lucky, they
>> might even show up in git as a single commit)
>
> Is there anything in cvs comparable to the git amend option?

No :-(

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/