Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: /home/peter/commit-msg

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pgsql: /home/peter/commit-msg
Date: 2009-11-21 02:25:42
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

2009/11/20 Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>:
> Kris Jurka wrote:
>> On Fri, 20 Nov 2009, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>
>>> I've cleaned up the git repo, and re-enabled the mirror script. From
>>> what I can tell it works fine. In theory you will need to use force
>>> mode if you pulled the broken commit that was removed (the one with
>>> the wrong message), but it seems this is not necessarily required.
>>
>> Just to clarify here, what was the point of stopping the sync script?
>> Unless the sync was stopped prior to the modified commit there's no
>> difference for an end user here.  If they pulled the modified commit
>> they've got a semi-broken repo.  All that's happened is that they
>> weren't able to pull newer updates as well which seems like a net loss.
>
> We figured it's easier to backtrack if there's no more commits on top of
> the modified one. Not sure how true it really was.

It made the work a bit easier, but it would've worked if it kept
running as well. But we didn't know it at the time.

Actually, it would've been more likely to cause conflicts for people I
think, since we would still have had to revert everything back to the
commit before the broken one anyway, and it would then affect more
files for those who had pulled a broken version.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/