Re: Merchandising, merchandising.. on the postgresql.eu site

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jonathan(dot)katz(at)excoventures(dot)com>, pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Merchandising, merchandising.. on the postgresql.eu site
Date: 2009-11-11 16:19:41
Lists: pgeu-general

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 17:06, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM, Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> So assuming there's a decision made on where to sell it, and we get an
>> account set up, who manages what merchandise is for sale?  I've heard
>> things about plush elephants (or PostgreSQLephants as I call them),
>> mugs, t-shirts etc, but is there a list?  And who orders them etc?
>> I'd be happy to be given a job to do here, although I'm not quite sure
>> what.
>
> Ads has managed past orders of elephants and mugs for selling at shows
> and conferences, however, if we're going to open an online store, my
> view is that we should use somewhere like cafepress or zazzle where we
> can make full use of their inventory, without having to produce any
> stock of our own (dunno about zazzle, but with cafepress, you
> basically just choose an item, upload the image to print on it, and
> set the price). It should be entirely separate from the stock we keep
> ourselves for shows (in fact, having to come to a show to get an
> elephant has a certain appeal to it).

Yes, we are definitely going to use something like that. No way we
want to maintain the whole hting ourselves, particularly shipping etc.

IIRC the thing we looked closest at was spreadshirt, because they are
more euro-centric.

Cafepress and zazzle aren't available in Euro-countries, AFAIK.
Actually, it looks like Zazzle may now be, so they could be worth
investigating. (Right now whenever I try it it just turns into German,
so it may be locked to the language)

I think what's needed at first is to define what we want, then create
a nice comparison matrix (*cough*wiki*cough*) showing our different
options. Both wrt what they can sell, how it's set up, and how we can
integrate it with our site if we want to.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/