Re: hba load error and silent mode

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hba load error and silent mode
Date: 2009-08-24 16:28:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 16:31, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> (Maybe there's a good case for deprecating silent mode.
>
> +1.  The only reason to use it is that an init-script writer is too
> lazy to deal with things properly --- the thing in question here being
> exactly to think of a place for early failure messages to go.
>
> You can *not* just move the syslogger start call up; it's dependent
> on having done some of the other initialization steps.  (chdir and
> signal setup being obvious candidates.)  In general, there will always
> be messages that come out before the syslogger can start, and thus a
> robust setup has got to provide some fallback place for them.

Agreed.

I don't see why we couldn't move the hba call specifically, though.
That's a fairly common error, so it would be good if the output went
to the place that is actually configured in postgresql.conf. It's at
least a lot more likely than most other things that are prior to
syslogger startup.

--
Magnus Hagander
Me: http://www.hagander.net/