Re: Can I have a look at your TuningWizard generated config file?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Jennifer Trey <jennifer(dot)trey(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can I have a look at your TuningWizard generated config file?
Date: 2009-07-31 10:48:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:35, Jennifer Trey<jennifer(dot)trey(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
> wrote:
>>
>> Jennifer Trey, 31.07.2009 12:17:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wanted to start with the TuningWizard and then configure the one they
>>> suggested, thinking that I am starting from good default values.
>>>
>>> But I am not able to run TuningWizard for some strange reason, but I am
>>> actually mostly interested in some few settings that it usually provides.
>>> Especially max_fsm_pages
>>> max_fsm_relations
>>>
>> Which Postgres version are you using?
>> IIRC those settings are not longer valid for 8.4
>>
>> THomas
>
> Aha, ok. I am using 8.4. They are still to be set, confusing.

AFAICS, the edb tuning wizard has not (yet) been updated to support
PostgreSQL 8.4. The hints it gives are for 8.3 and earlier. It would
probably be a good idea if they gave a warning for that, but I take it
they don't :-)

There may be other issues as well, so read up on the documentation for
anything else it recommends to change.

As for these two values, you can just ignore them - they are tuned
dynamically on 8.4.

--
Magnus Hagander
Self: http://www.hagander.net/