Re: Re: [Fwd: JDBC Timestamp problem]

From: Peter T Mount <peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Antonio Fiol <fiol(at)w3ping(dot)com>
Cc: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [Fwd: JDBC Timestamp problem]
Date: 2001-02-23 09:18:16
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Quoting Antonio Fiol <fiol(at)w3ping(dot)com>:

> Joseph Shraibman wrote:
>
> > jdbc version don't follow postgres versions, so the jdbc drivers from
> > the 7.1 codebase should work with a 7.0 server. Provided there
> aren't any bugs in those jdbc drivers, of course. Why are you using 7.0
> when 7.0.3 is out? I think some of the timestamp problems were fixed in
> > 7.0.3.

I can't guarantee that 7.1 will work with 7.0. 99% of it will do but some
MetaData methods will not because they use features only present in 7.1 (ie
inner/outer joins). What's in CVS will do, but I have those changes ready to
commit.

[Before anyone asks, these should throw an SQLException which is the correct
way to handle this under the JDBC Spec ;-) ]

In general the JDBC driver should work with at least the previous version, but
it does try to stay inline with the current version (which is why I keep a
binary copy of previous versions on the web site.

> In fact, what I downloaded was the RedHat RPMs for 7.0.3-2.

There were still Timestamp bugs in 7.0.3. Hopefully they are gone in 7.1

> it was
> these have been

> )

> > > I downloaded the 7.0 three days ago!!!!
> > >
> > > Is there an RPM for the 7.1 stuff?
>
> I reiterate my question: Are there RPM packages for the 7.1 driver? If
> so, where can I find them?

I'm not sure about the current 7.1beta's. However, I've not put up a 7.1 .jar
file (all that's needed really) for the betas as things have been a bit fast of
late. I'll put a current beta on the web site over the weekend.

> Thank you all for your help! Your support is much better than that of
> IBM DB2 or Oracle.

I'm slowly discovering that our JDBC driver seems to support more JDBC than
Oracle's does (or appears). I've been playing with Oracle8i since starting this
job two months ago, and it's been amazing what we can do that it can't
(Inner/Outer joins for a start) ;-)

Peter

--
Peter Mount peter(at)retep(dot)org(dot)uk
PostgreSQL JDBC Driver: http://www.retep.org.uk/postgres/