Re: Unable to drop sequence due to dependency?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Glen Parker <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unable to drop sequence due to dependency?
Date: 2009-03-05 00:13:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Glen Parker <glenebob(at)nwlink(dot)com> writes:
> I can't drop a sequence. I get the error "cannot drop sequence
> <sequence name> because other objects depend on it". I've tried to use
> the pg_depend table to find out what object(s) depend on it, and have
> found nothing.

What's the whole contents of the rows with refobjid matching the
sequence's OID? In particular, classid::regclass would tell you
where to look for the dependent object.

> Any hints? What type of objects can depend on a sequence?

Typically, the default expression for a serial column based on the
sequence. It's a bit odd that the DROP doesn't tell you about it
though.