Re: [HACKERS] Another bug in pg_operator.h

From: dg(at)informix(dot)com (David Gould)
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane)
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Another bug in pg_operator.h
Date: 1998-10-29 03:05:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > This was, um, fruitful.
>
> My *goodness*, that was a good idea.
>
> I have now located and repaired ninety-three distinct bugs in
> pg_operator.h, all of the form "operator A has an incorrect com, negate,
> or sort link to operator B". Almost none of them required any semantic
> analysis to spot --- I found them by looking for conditions like A links
> to B but B doesn't link to A, or A claims B is its commutation but B
> doesn't have the right input data types to be that, etc.

Bravo! I did this for Illustra a couple years ago. What a pain. But it is
nice to get right answers. Also, it lets the planner generate better plans.
If there is a negator or commutator it can use it instead of generating extra
steps.

-dg

David Gould dg(at)informix(dot)com 510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software (No, really) 300 Lakeside Drive Oakland, CA 94612
- If simplicity worked, the world would be overrun with insects. -