Re: AW: [HACKERS] regular expressions from hell

From: dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould)
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org (The Hermit Hacker)
Cc: andreas(dot)zeugswetter(at)telecom(dot)at, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: [HACKERS] regular expressions from hell
Date: 1998-06-30 19:32:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > >The reason that we do not use this particular Regex package is that *it*
> > >falls under the "Almighty GPL", which conflicts with our Berkeley
> > >Copyright...
> >
> > I thought we had an agreement that GNU software could be
> > included in postgresql without imposing a GPL on postgresql,
> > as long as it is delivered in it's whole, probably in it's own subdirectory,
> > with the GPL only applying to this subdirectory.
>
> Only those that fall under LGPL, not GPL...

As it happens, rx-1.9 is not under either the GPL, or the LGPL. The author
offers a range of free and commercial licenses. It appears that we could
use this software, but the safest bet would be to contact the author and ask
as the license documents are not as well spelled out as the Gnu licences and
I may have misunderstood them.

-dg

David Gould dg(at)illustra(dot)com 510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software (No, really) 300 Lakeside Drive Oakland, CA 94612
Q: Someone please enlighten me, but what are they packing into NT5 to
make it twice the size of NT4/EE?
A: A whole chorus line of dancing paperclips. -- mcgredo(at)otter(dot)mbay(dot)net