[GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS (fwd)

From: John Edstrom <edstrom(at)bubo(dot)hmsc(dot)orst(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: [GENERAL] Re: [HACKERS] NEW POSTGRESQL LOGOS (fwd)
Date: 1998-06-04 17:28:56
Lists: pgsql-general

The Hermit Hacker

> > > How about the BSD daemon just saving time and clubbing down the
> > > Linux penguin? :)
> >
> > I was thinking maybe the BSD daemon grilling the Linux penguin. :)

The BSD daemon looks too much like Elmer Fud for my taste.

> On, like, a BBQ? :)

You mean PostgresBBQL?

Seriously, how about a salamander? Lots of interesting possible
hooks. If you want flames, in the alchemical mythology salamanders
thrived amid flames and lived to set the world on fire.

In the real world there are many colorful and fetching salamanders.
As members of the amphibian clan they tolerate a variety of habitats,
they're slick but not as slimey or silly-looking as frogs. They have
a long and distinguished career having been among the pioneer species
with backbone to invade the land. They are resiliant, having survived
many mass extinctions in the past and are able to regenerate lost or
damaged limbs. Many species, including some native to the US West
coast, are toxic. The California and Oregon newts have puffer fish
toxin and kill predators that eat them.

On the down side, like other amphibians around the world, they are
threatened by mass extinction, possibly as a result of an inhospitable
environment made hostile by a reckless, selfish and greedy dominant
species.

--
John Edstrom | edstrom @ slugo.hmsc.orst.edu

http://www.hmsc.orst.edu/~edstrom
"Lurker" at BioMOO (bioinfo.weizmann.ac.il:8888)

Hatfield Marine Science Center
2030 S. Marine Science Drive
Newport, Oregon 97365-5296
wk: (541) 867 0197